What's Happening Right Now At Youth Connections
The latest edition of Youth News for High School
CLICK HERE -- https://mailchi.mp/074361c05e60/september-and-beyond
Youth Connections Stories on tumblr.com
Read selected stories and pictures about Youth Connections programs on our fpcgv.tumblr.com blog. Click the stories below to read more:
#PropheticallyAngry - What happens when woke people feel a call from the Holy Spirit.
Positivity on a Soup Can - Youth Connections wanted to make sure that the recipients knew they were loved, cared for and believed in.
#WeAreStV - After hearing about his story of unselfish giving and even a bit of government protesting, the group present was challenged to think of a person(s) to whom they could be St. Valentine.
Group building 30' in the air - Straping on a high ropes harness and climbing the ladder is a lot more challenging that you might think.
Fall 2019 Middle School Schedule
- September 8: NOTE: Sunday School begins at 9:15am Following worship, we will carpool to the Czyz’s, 842 Harber Ave, which is near the church. We will work to prepare, cook and eat lunch.
- Saturday, September 21: Volunteer at Kid’s Night In! Go the church webpage for details. An opportunity for service hours!
- September 29: Both our middle and high school youth will carpool to St. Philip Presbyterian Church in Hurst following worship. We will carpool to St. Philip’s after worship. We will need help with transporting the kids.
- October 11-13: Attend Grace Presbytery’s Youth Fest West Retreat (6th -12th grades)at Glen Lake Camp in Glen Rose. Cost is $125 per person. Please let Jodi Haun know if your child plans to attend. Please make your check payable to First Presbyterian Church or FPCGV by Sunday, September 22.
- October 27: Quick lunch at the church and then go volunteer at Graceful Buys or at the church.
- November 10: Quick lunch at the church and then go to an Escape Room.
- November 24: Attend Grace Presbytery’s Youth Worship Celebration. The celebration is from 3-5pm at a church in the presbytery. So, we will meet at 2pm and after the celebration stop for dinner on the way home. High School Youth may also be attending.
- December 1: Work on setting up for Christmas Magic. Time to be determined.
- December 7: 3:30pm Final preparation for Christmas Magic which begins at 5pm.
- December 14: Christmas gift and/or food shopping for families in need.
High School Sunday School
We are fortunate to have a great teaching pair for the year – Kaki Talbot and Will Szendrey (with Ashley and Rick substituting on occasion). This class will meet from 9:15 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. each Sunday beginning Sept. 8th. The goal is to create a space where youth are known by name, have a voice, and will want to have biblical/theological dialogue. There will likely be food and recreation each week.
High School Fellowship
High School Fellowship is scheduled for at least twice a month. We are blessed to have a terrific group of youth sponsors who are excited about spending time with your youth. We will need parent help as well, but those will mostly be behind the scene roles – unless your youth recruits you themselves!
We know some youth do better right after church and others do better coming back in the evening. Some activities are better during the day, and some at night. Some high schoolers drive and some do not. Therefore, we are going to spend this semester testing an idea that is both/and in the hope that at least one activity a month will fit your busy schedules. For the most part, fellowship will follow this pattern:
- Second Sunday Suppers – will ordinarily be from 5-7p.m.
- Last Sunday Lunches – will begin immediately following worship and will usually end by 2.
See the calendar below for more details and for the days when we vary.
High School Schedule
September 8 – Second Sunday Supper from 5-7
1407 Stone Lakes Dr., Southlake
Mary Kay and Chuck Schneider will welcome us into their home to cook dinner together and hangout.
September 21 – Extra Event: Kid’s Night In from 4-9 (5 SERVICE HOURS)
Come help us create a night of fun for children in the neighborhood and the church. There are a variety of jobs from kitchen to crafts to recreation with preschoolers thru elementary ages.
September 29 – Last Sunday Lunch, 11:45 to 2:30
We are working to plan a High School and Middle School recreation event with a nearby church.
October 11-13 – Youth Fest West: Wrestling With Faith -- Retreat
Youth Fest is a Presbytery-wide retreat for 6th -12th graders led by our college ministry team. The event will include large and small group time, recreation, free time and 2 hours of service. We will stay together as a home group. If you have school responsibilities on Friday evening, no worries, we plan to have at least one car go on Saturday morning. For more information go to http://www.gracepresbytery.org/ministries/youth/youthfest-west/ Please register on-line by Sept. 15 so we will know how many sponsors we need. Scholarships are available through our church and the presbytery. (Be sure and put First Presbyterian, Grapevine as your church, Ashley Hood as your registrar, firstname.lastname@example.org, 817-481-7129; please also send Ashley an email so she can cross-check with the Presbytery that your registration went through.)
October 26 – Extra Event: Trunk or Treat, 4-7 (3 SERVICE HOURS)
There are a variety of ways to serve at this fun event for children in our neighborhood, such as helping to prepare hotdogs in the kitchen, decorating your trunk, volunteering at the bounce house or face painting.
October 27 – Last Sunday Lunch from 12-3 (3 SERVICE HOURS), Location TBD
We will be hosting a lunch for youth from various faith groups and organizations in Northeast Tarrant County. Together we will make posters and other preparations for the Peace Together Walk in November.
November 2 –Second Annual Peace Together Walk (3 SERVICE HOURS), Tentatively 1:30-4:30, in Colleyville
FPCGV is one of the organizations that launched this movement in the hope that we may know our neighbors better and by so doing spread peace. We will have high schoolers simply walking in solidarity and serving as guides at the event.
November 10 – Second Sunday Supper from 4:15 -7:30, (1.5 SERVICE HOURS) Meet at the Church
We will be driving to Presbyterian Night Shelter to serve dinner and play with the kids on the playground of the “Women’s and Children’s Center.” Then we will eat a modest dinner before returning to the church.
November 24 – Last Sunday, TIME DEVIATION, 2:30-???
We will attend Grace Presbytery’s Youth Worship Celebration. The celebration is form 3-5pm at a Presbyterian church in Grace Presbytery. Dinner will be a part of the trek.
December 1 – Extra Sunday Fellowship: Christmas Magic Preparations, Time TBD (2 SERVICE HOURS)
December 7 – Christmas Magic, 3:30-11 (7 SERVICE HOURS)
December 8th – SECOND SUNDAY SUPPER AND SHOPPING (2 SERVICE HOURS)
If we still have energy left from the night before, we will have our annual shopping adventure to bless some others this Christmas with a portion of the money we make at Christmas Magic.